Every evaluation must begin with a thorough history. Please fill this out and bring/send in a copy. You will also have a specific description of your problem history to take
with you to other treatment professionals as needed. (PDF version).
1. Develop a timeline of the dyspareunia.
- Has intercourse always been painful?
- Has tampon use always been painful?
- Did the pain start acutely or gradually?
- Is the pain only during intercourse or is there pain without provocation?
- Since the pain began, have there been episodes of completely pain free sex?
2. Determine the location of the pain
New clients always welcome.
Please email Mary or
- Is the pain upon insertion?
- Is the pain inside the vagina?
- Is there pain with deep thrusting?
- Are there any positions that are more/less painful?
- Is there pain with clitoral stimulation?
- Is there post-coital pain?
3. Elicit symptoms
- Burning, rawness, cutting, searing, aching, sharp, dull, throbbing, tearing, sandpaper, dry, itchy?
- Is there dysuria, hesitancy, urgency, frequency, incomplete emptying?
- Is there constipation?
4. Additional important questions
- Have you used oral contraceptive pills? How long?
- Have you used antifungal creams? Did they burn when you used them?
- If you have been treated for recurrent infections, have you had positive cultures?
- Have you had a vulvar biopsy?
- Is the pain worse/same/better if you use a condom?
- Do you have bleeding during/after sex?
- Do you tear during sex?
- Do you have oral lesions?
- Do you have sensitive skin?
- Do you have allergies to topical medications?
This Pain Evaluation is courtesy of:
Dr. Andrew Goldstein
The Centers for Vulvovaginal Disorders
3 Washington Circle NW, Suite 205
Washington, DC 20037
Phone: (202) 887-0568